Friday 26 August 2011

Mother's Song (Gerard Kelly)

Sometimes, I wake up at 'ridiculous' o'clock with the sense to pray for my family, especially my son, Karl.  There is nothing drastically going wrong in his life: however, that shouldn't stop me from bringing him before God in prayer. 

I love this spoken worship poem by Gerard Kelly and it sums up my thoughts this morning. It is entitled a 'Mother's Song'.

                                                         
I gave you the earth,
my child, gift of love,
its contoured face carved
by time and the weather's knife,
it's patchwork of forests
sewn with the threads of rivers,
its oceans
of salted life.
I give you the rhythms
of time and tide and voices,
the drumroll of rainfall
when the ground's tight skin is dry.
I give you a choir
of leaves to sing the wind to you,
a palette of sungold
for a canvassful of sky.
I give you your place
on this planet of wonders,
crown jewel of the heavens
in a Guinness-black dome.
I give you the garden
God's artistry has landscaped
to be your classroom and playground,
your palace,
your home.
For joy
I give you laughter.
For peace
I give you sleep.
For fear and failure,
my embrace to call upon.
I give you the earth,
my child, gift of love,
and I give you my prayer
that you live
to pass it on.

No comments: