Sunday 28 August 2011

Christ Church

This morning I led worship at the 9.30am service at Christ Church on Bastable Avenue, Barking.  Revd Mina was away on holiday so I covered for her.  I have been taking services at Christ Church for just over seven years now - and I still love the atmosphere and the people who attend.

This morning I was a little sad as I looked at the congregation and recalled all the those who have died over the last seven years, those who are now housebound, those who have moved away and I could still see their faces looking back at me and silently, in my heart, I thanked God for their faithful service. However, the plus side is to see new faces - that I don't know - and to listen to their stories this morning after the service - that always lifts my heart.

It's even more encouraging to young people, especially young lads, taking part in the service and being actively involved in preparing the church for the service.  This young man, Daniel, operates the multi-media then, after the service, he carefully put away the items on the Communion Table.  Daniel also very kindly offered me a cup of tea :))  I asked him to stand next to the newly renovated Church window.  Over the years various panes had been vandalized and replaced with clear glass, so the original depiction of the Cross on a green hill with blue sky had been lost - however, it is now back to it's full glory and when the sun shines through the window the Cross is reflected on the wall opposite.


During the time of Intercessory Prayer, Gerry (Church Warden) prayed for those today affected by Hurricane Irene, the situation in Liberia and for members of our own community who are facing hardship.

Christ Church is only fifty years old so, in Church of England terms, it is still a relatively new church when it's mother church up the road - St. Margaret's - is over a 1000 years old.  Christ Church has a heart for the community in which it is actively engaged and it is always a delight to participate in  worship and, on accasions such as today, to lead the congregation in worship too.
                                                                                                                                                                         

No comments: